Faculty and staff should be aware that files on their Penn State office computers are not automatically backed up. Penn State University provides faculty, staff and students with many file backup options; visit http://its.psu.edu/be-safe/back-up for more information.
Penn State Wilkes-Barre also offers network storage, called the S: drive, that faculty and staff can use to back up their files. The S: drive is regularly backed up and provides a safe place to store vital files and folders.
A few important things to note:
- The S: drive can be found by clicking on “Start” and then on “Computer.” You will see it under “Network Location.”
- Storage on the S: drive is initially limited to 100GB but can be expanded if necessary.
- Once you put a file or folder on the S: drive, you can edit it there directly. In other words, you don’t need to keep a copy of the file in your My Documents and another copy in your S: drive. The copy in your S: drive is all you need.
- The S: drive storage space is separate from the shared storage space that some departments use.
Special notes for laptop users:
- Laptop users can use and access the S: drive even when they are disconnected from the Penn State network. It will automatically sync any changes the next time their laptop is connected to the campus’ network.
- If you plan to be away from the campus for an extended period of time, we can assist you in making alternative arrangements to back up your S: drive.
- Information Technology Services
- Essential Services
- Computer Labs & Classrooms