Dr. Violet Mager
Assistant Professor of Physics
office: Science Center Room 111
Observatory Open Houses
The Friedman Observatory often holds Open Houses, and we invite the public to attend. Come to one of these public nights to view the skies using our 16-inch (0.40 meter) Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain LX200 telescope. No reservations are needed, but group size is limited to about 10 attendees.
The next Observatory Open House night is: TBA
If you have any questions, email Dr. Mager for more information.
Click here for directions to Penn State Wilkes-Barre campus and the Friedman Observatory.
The observatory is open only during clear weather conditions. The observatory will be closed for:
- poor visibility conditions (no or very few stars visible)
- radar indicates scattered thunderstorms in the Northeastern Pennsylvania region
- poor winter road conditions (e.g., snow, ice, fog)
- significant snow or ice accumulation on or around the observatory dome
- very cold weather (<20 degrees F)
For a prediction of upcoming viewing conditions, see the AccuWeather Stargazing Forecast.