Research Excellence/Creative Accomplishment Award
This award is given to a PSU WB faculty member who has made a significant contribution to his or her professional field. Such contribution might include publishing or presenting a research paper or literary or other creative work or significantly participating in professional activities. The award might also be given for a series of contributions around a coherent theme. Especially desirous are contributions that involve undergraduate students in meaningful ways or contributions the results of which are incorporated into teaching, thereby raising the quality of undergraduate education.
Full time teaching staff and adjuncts, who have been teaching at Penn State Wilkes-Barre for the past year, may have their research / creative work recommended for the award.
Anyone may nominate eligible persons for the award. Nominations are made to PSU WB disciplinary faculty leaders who review candidates' credentials and forward nominations along with their assessments of candidates' accomplishments to the Director of Academic Affairs. Research / creative work being recommended should have been done within the past 3 years
Research projects are judged on the basis of originality and significance to the discipline. Criteria for evaluating research include:
- Originality. The degree to which the research represents the development of novel and significant areas of knowledge. The degree to which the research represents the development of new knowledge in a creative manner and with independent insight.
- Experimental Practices. The degree to which the research involved developing innovative hypotheses or new and superior experimental methodologies.
- Presentation. The degree to which research results were presented to the disciplinary community with clarity through timely presentation at disciplinary meetings and by publication in high quality journals.
Creative Accomplishments are judged on the basis of originality & creativity:
- Technical and artistic development as evidenced in the work – ex. creative writing such as poetry, short story, drama, novel, dance, music score, performance, etc.
- Evidence of risk, change and artistic stamina and evidence of different styles and modes of expression might be considered.
- Presentation – The way the creative work is shared with the public and disciplinary community through public performance, art show, or publication such as a novel, magazine or journal entries, short story or poem.
- Connection of creative accomplishment to faculty’s teaching discipline and possible use as inspiration for undergraduates to share their own creative endeavors
Anyone may nominate eligible persons for the award. Nominations are made to PSU WB disciplinary faculty leaders who forward nominations along with their endorsements to the Director of Academic Affairs. Nominations are reviewed by the Director of Academic Affairs and the Chancellor and the award winner(s) selected.