Online Courses and Certificates
The Penn State Surveying Engineering program offers two online certificate programs in surveying. They are Measurement Analysis and Least Squares Adjustments and Geodesy and GPS. Both certificates are offered completely on the web.
Each certificate program consists of three courses:
Measurement Analysis and Least Squares Adjustments
Geodesy and GPS
To take any of the courses listed above, you should apply with the nondegree application form and register for these courses at the Wilkes-Barre campus. The prerequisites for the classes are college-level calculus (MATH 140 & 141), statistics (STAT 401), and computer programming (CMPSC 201).
The costs of tuition and other charges can be viewed on the bursar's page at http://tuition.psu.edu/.
To learn more about taking these courses online, contact Dr. Chuck Ghilani at 570-675-9127.
To apply, print the form, fill it in with the appropriate information, and mail it to:
Fill out the PSU Access Account Acceptance Statement.
Print the form and mail or fax it to the address on the form along with a copy of your photo ID or driver's license. (Be sure to enlarge the photo ID information a good bit and make it very light, otherwise the picture does not come through in the FAX process.) Include a phone number on the form of where you can be reached during day-time hours, if necessary.
After the Accounts office receives the information and it is legible, they will process the request. Access account information will be sent to the home address we have on file, using U.S. Mail. The information will come from the Penn State University Park campus directly to you.
The University uses a on-line registration system called eLion (https://elion.psu.edu). Once you have your Access Account, you will be able to schedule SUR classes:
- In a web browser window, open the PSU schedule of classes, http://soc.our.psu.edu/soc/. Select the Wilkes-Barre campus and the appropriate semester, then specify the course abbreviation “SUR”. Find the schedule number for the SUR course you are interested in.
- Log in to eLion as a student using your Access Account information. From the left window, click on the link Registration. Register for the courses you wish to schedule.
Note: the above courses are the only courses available online. If you wish to take other courses, you must be prepared to attend classes.
For more information you can contact:
Director of Information Technology (IT): Caroline Chronowski at email@example.com or phone (570) 675-9153
Registrar: Margie Esopi at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone (570) 675-9192
Admission Officer: John Barnes at email@example.com, or phone (570) 675-9229
- Baccalaureate Degrees
- Surveying Engineering
- About Surveying Engineering
- Baccalaureate Degree: Surveying Engineering
- Concurrent Major: Surveying Engineering and Civil Engineering
- Associate Degree: Surveying Engineering Technology
- 2+2.5 Baccalaureate Degree
- Transfer Students
- Surveying Faculty
- Advisory Council
- Careers in Surveying
- Job Openings
- Student Society
- Free Tools