Associate Degree in Surveying Engineering Technology
The associate degree in Surveying Technology (2SRT) provides the basic undergraduate education required for private and public service as a technician in the surveying profession. Basic knowledge is provided in the areas of boundary, construction, topographic, and photogrammetric surveying. The 2-year curriculum is designed to develop an individual understanding of the skills and equipment needed to make precise surveying measurements. The major prepares graduates who, after the first few years of their surveying careers, can achieve the following program objectives:
- proficiently apply basic principles and methods of surveying practice to perform surveys and analyze results.
- effectively convey technical and professional information in written, verbal, and graphic forms, as individuals and as members of a professional team.
- demonstrate their recognition of the importance of professional organizations for their development as surveying technologists.
- demonstrate their recognition of the need for continuous, life-long learning.
Student outcomes are those skills and capabilities that are the foundation on which those achievements can be built. Stated differently, student outcomes are the talents, skills, and capabilities that should be imparted to students so that, when they graduate with an associate degree in Surveying Engineering Technology, they are well equipped to succeed at their chosen careers. Those outcomes state that at time of graduation the students will be able to demonstrate:
- an ability to apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to narrowly defined engineering technology activities;
- an ability to apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles but extensive practical knowledge;
- an ability to conduct standard tests and measurements, and to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments;
- an ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team;
- an ability to identify, analyze, and solve narrowly defined engineering technology problems;
- an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature;
- an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development;
- an understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity; and
- a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
Also adopted are the following TAC of ABET’s Program Criteria for Surveying/Geomatics Engineering Technology Programs, 2012-2013. Associate degree programs must demonstrate that graduates are capable of:
- utilizing modern measurement technologies to acquire spatial data;
- employing industry-standard software to solve technical problems.
The following are the annual student enrollment and graduation data for the program:
Academic Year 2012-13
Enrollment: 12 students
Graduation: 6 students
Academic Year 2013-14
Enrollment: 12 students
Graduation: 6 students (expected)
Graduates of the Surveying Engineering Technology major may qualify for admission to the baccalaureate degree major in Surveying Engineering and complete that degree with an additional 2.5 years of study. For the Associate in Engineering Technology (AEngT) degree in Surveying Engineering Technology, a minimum of 67 to 70 credits is required. This program is accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET (www.abet.org).
- Baccalaureate Degrees
- Surveying Engineering
- About Surveying Engineering
- Baccalaureate Degree: Surveying Engineering
- Concurrent Major: Surveying Engineering and Civil Engineering
- Associate Degree: Surveying Engineering Technology
- 2+2.5 Baccalaureate Degree
- Transfer Students
- Surveying Faculty
- Advisory Council
- Careers in Surveying
- Job Openings
- Student Society
- Free Tools