New Student Orientation (NSO) is a comprehensive program designed to assist new first-year students in planning their Penn State education. All first-year students must attend NSO in order to register for classes. At NSO, you will meet with faculty and staff, begin to develop goals for your time at Penn State, learn about campus resources, and schedule courses for your first semester. Before proceeding with your required NSO steps, you must activate your Access Account. (You will receive email from firstname.lastname@example.org explaining this process.) This may different from the Friends of Penn State (FPS) account you created to apply to Penn State, and action is required on your part.
Once you activate your Access Account, NSO is a four step process:
- Take your ALEKS Math Assessment
- Complete your Educational Planning Survey
- Do your Pre-NSO Homework (available in May)
- Register for New Student Orientation Advising Day at Penn State Wilkes-Barre
Attend Your Advising Day
On your Advising Day you will learn about:
- the academic preparation needed for your chosen major;
- the wide range of degree programs available at Penn State;
- your financial aid package;
- housing options; and
- athletics, clubs, and other extracurricular activities.
On your designated Advising Day, you will meet with an academic adviser to discuss your educational plans and to schedule courses for your first semester of study. In addition, you will get your university photo ID. Please be sure to bring a driver’s license or passport with you.
Your family is welcome to attend Advising Day with you.